How you can volunteer NOW
The FIRST Tech Challenge is more than a school robotics program. It is a community focused on building a better world for tomorrow by engaging high school students in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM).
We need all sorts of volunteer help across our region:
- Helping at our Events — League Meets, InterLeague Tournaments, and Regional Championship (November – February)
- Working with our Teams in expert and non-expert roles (year-round)
- Volunteers in our Regional Committee (year-round)
You can sign up to be an event volunteer by both emailing firstname.lastname@example.org and signing up to be placed in an event at https://my.usfirst.org/vims. We have around 50 events this season, ranging from mid-November through the end of February — and the schedule can be seen via links on the front of our web page.
Some events are half-day; others are full day. Roles range from judge and referee, to queuing and helping with volunteer support and crowd control. Some are technical; most are just energy and support for a great day of celebration and robotics.
For adults, you will need to go through Youth Protection screening, which may take 2-10 days. Information on roles can be found at http://www.firstinspires.org/resource-library/ftc/volunteer-resources .
Working with our Teams: Across the Year and Season:
You can get directly involved with a team or program in your area:
- Coach/Mentor a team — help get one started at a local middle or high school, or expand an existing program with additional support and resources
- Be an engineering or programming mentor
- Be a business, marketing, or financial mentor
Regional Committee Membership:
We always welcome involvement on the Regional level. We have about a dozen adult volunteers who make the trains run on time and work with the various teams, schools, districts, and organizations. Many of us are program alumni, mentors, and/or parents of program alumni.
Currently, the committee meets online via webconference every other Tuesday night at 7 pm. Volunteers live all over our nine-county region. Live meetings are 2-3x/year at various locations, as well as at our main events each year. Some volunteers lead committees; others help with a variety of programs as time permits in their work and school schedules (for our college students and professors).
Current roles we are seeking to grow or amplify:
- Logistics and operations
- Registration and team management
- Equipment support
- School and district outreach/marketing
- Mentor training
- PR/Press relations
Email email@example.com if you are interested in getting your feet wet with us.