It’s getting close to our Sat., Sept. 8, 2018 Kickoff Time! We welcome all teams and potential teams to join us at our Annual Kickoff and Workshops. We ask that all groups register, as we have limited space in some workshops and try to plan for the number of people coming. Workshop registration will be first come, first served.
Registration Link (1 per team): Eventbrite Link to Register
- NOTE #1: In Monrovia, some workshop spaces will be tight with only room for 30 and each will be run 2x. Most workshop sessions will be capped at 1 space per team per session until we see if we have additional room. “First Come, First Served.”
- NOTE #2: We will only take 1 Registration per team, and will cancel any second reservation for the same team, as we have in the past. If you have more than 1 team, please register separately by team number.
Price: Free, with possible food for purchase.
Join us at a free Kickoff event on Saturday, Sept. 8, at one of two locations:
- Heritage High School, 26001 Briggs Rd, Romoland 92585 (Inland Empire)
- Monrovia High School, 845 W Colorado Blvd, Monrovia, CA 91016 (San Gabriel Valley) — reached via the 210 Freeway from the Huntington Dr. or Myrtle Ave. exits.
- 7:45- 8:15 AM Breakfast
- 8:30 – 9:00 AM Game Announcement
- 9:00-10:00 AM Hands On
- 10 – 12:00 NOON Strategy planning/possible workshop
Teams who register will get additional information sent to them about breakfast and other details.
Monrovia Schedule (Main Kickoff)
- 7:30 AM Teams to arrive no earlier than 7:30 am
- 8:00 AM Sign In by Team — Courtyard
- 8:30 AM Begin Presentation/ Game Reveal — Main Auditorium
- 9:00 AM First Look at Fields — Auditorium and Outdoors
- 9:15 AM -10 AM First Workshop Sessions — Auditorium, Room 210, and Science Building
- 10:00 AM – 11 AM Second Workshop Sessions — Auditorium, Room 210, and Science Building
We anticipate 60 teams again this year and more than 600 people. During each Workshop Series, we will have one session in the Auditorium, 1 in Room 210 (large), and 7 in smaller rooms (30 max). We offer to each registered team 1 spots in each 30-seat small room, with additional seats to be offered on a will-call basis, space permitting. We will move one of the sessions into the larger room based on registrations. The Auditorium will have space for everyone during each session. Please bring a copies of your Eventbrite registration for your workshop seat.
We plan on recording the most popular sessions after the event to share, though do not plan to record these sessions directly.
Please see http://www.firsttechsocal.org/events/rover-ruckus-kickoff-2018/ and below for more workshop details.
|1A/B: Engineering Design/ Process From Game to Robot||Fletcher Porter||UCSB Engineering Student; Alumnus, Suit Bots 4628|
|2A/B: Mentor (What to do, Lead team as a mentor)||Brian Johnson||Monrovia HS Mentor, MBA, CFO, Kings & Queens 4625|
|3A/B: Blocks Programming (Easy Rookie Way, Scratch)||Stephanie Ramirez||Student, Veteran FTC 3+ Years, Current Member of Brainstormz 10298|
|4A/B: Android Studio Programming (Java)||Nathan Choi||Student, Captain of Brainstormz 10298, Veteran FIRST 3+|
|5A/B: Engineering Notebook (What to include, Format)||Cindy Chung||Regional Committee, Regional Judge for LAFTC 5+ Years|
|6A/B: Judged Awards (How it Works, Points to hit, Constructing Interview, Cover Every Award)||Corey Porter/ Olivia Smalley||Regional Committee Members: LAFTC Judge Advisor, Ticketmaster Exec.; College Student and Alumna 8496|
|7A/B: Inclusion (Team Communication, Diversity, Dealing with Conflict)||Amanda Sulllivan||Regional Committee, FLL Robotics Mentor, Alumna Kings & Queens 4625|
|8A/B: Business Plan/ Outreach (Fundraising, Planning Events, Writing Grants)||Gigi Johnson||UCLA Faculty; MBA; Co-Affiliate Partner for LAFTC|
|9A/B: Missed Connections: ESD, Lag, and the FTC SDK (What happens at FIRST HQ, New Tech Updates),||Craig MacFarlane||Software Engineer FIRST, FTC Mentor 25 & 5218.|