Registration has two main steps,. If you would like more information on League Play, please see the details further below and links in the top menu.
- First, two adult mentors will register their team with FIRST at firstinspires.org, whether you are a rookie or returning team. FIRST will ask for a $275 annual fee plus needs to ensure your two great adult mentors pass Youth Protection, which will need to be renewed every three years.
- After you have signed up for FIRST for the season and if you are new have connected with the Region at firstname.lastname@example.org, you’ll be assigned a League and will get an email with directions on how to register for your Event Season. Up to 4 League Meets and 1 InterLeague Tournament will only cost you $300, for up to 25 match plays with a live audience! If you wish to be changed from your 1st assigned league, you will have the opportunity to request to be switched to a different league but only one time ahead of the first League Meet. Any registration questions can be sent to registration@firsttechsocal.
org. You must be registered and paid in full by Oct. 1, 2018 to retain your League spot.
Broader Information for new teams and rookies:
If this is your first season competing, welcome to our group! Your first FIRST Tech Challenge robotics season can be particularly exciting and overwhelming but there are many resources available to make the experience worthwhile. We recommend all new teams visit our Rookie Resources currently available on the LA/SoCal FTC website: http://www.firsttechsocal.org/info-for-teams/rookie-resources/
Tournament Structure: League Play
The LA/SoCal region is growing! In order to give all teams ample opportunities to compete with their robots, two seasons ago we moved to a League model for tournaments.
Leagues are communities of no more than 16 teams that are located (hopefully) geographically close. The League plays 4 Meets, with 5 matches in each half-day Meet. Meets run from November to late January, with dates Saturdays or Sundays determined by the host, and approximately 2 weeks apart.
These Meet Events run 3-4 hours. This is game play only, with no judging. From all the Meets 1-3 that a given team competes in, its top 10 scores out of the 15 standard matches will carry forward to combine with its qualifying round scores in its Inter-League Tournament. This excludes scores from the no-score Meet 0, the first Meet event, which serves as a practice event for teams and volunteers to get acquainted with each other and the system before points start to accumulate.
If you are a new team, you will receive an email from us once you register with FIRST assigning you to a SoCal/LA League. We will do our best to place you close to your city, but please know there are limited leagues and spots so you may need to drive. All League events are Saturdays or Sundays to avoid weeknight traffic and impacts to afterschool activities and homework.
League Assignments: The drafts of the Leagues can be found at http://www.firsttechsocal.org/league-assignments/. We still have two locations to finalize, and ILT assignments to lock down. A team mentor may request a change in League location up to one time before Leagues start by contacting email@example.com. Questions overall can go to firstname.lastname@example.org. Note: some are already full at 16 teams for the season.
The single payment to compete in the League System in the LA/SoCal Region is $300. Note, this is a separate fee from the FIRST registration fee that is paid directly to FIRST. This event registration fee covers up to four league meets (Meets 0-3) and one Interleague Tournament (ILT). Your team is not required to attend all events but it is strongly encouraged to do so.
League/ILT Event Registration: Each team must register and pay to retain their League placement and to play. Mentors from returning teams have gotten an email inviting them to register and the link to do so.. New teams should reach out to email@example.com for those details. Payment can be by credit card via PayPal (linked directly from RegOnline), check, or full PO (not just number). Checks need to be received within 2 weeks from RegOnline registration and POs need to be paid in full within 30 days or by Oct. 1, whichever is earlier. Payment information and invoices are in the RegOnline event information.
Fees must be paid in full no later than October 1, 2018. Failure to pay by the deadline will result in removal from your league assignment and if your league is full, your team spot may be given to another team on the waitlist.
IMPORTANT: The League Play system operates under a community model and teams are expected to contribute to its success. Therefore, each team is required to submit at least one volunteer per league meet and two for the ILT. Failure to fulfill team commitment could lead to negative consequences for your team.
Tentative Season Timeline
- 2018 FIRST Tech Challenge Kickoff: Saturday, September 8, 2018– TWO LOCATIONS
- FREE to attend! Workshops, early game reveal, activities, giveaways! ●
- Regional Kickoff Event: Monrovia High School– 845 Colorado Ave, Monrovia , CA 91016 –
- Satellite Kickoff Event: Heritage High School– 26001 Briggs Rd, Romoland, CA 92585
- Volunteer Training Day(s): Early November (depending on availability of training manuals)
- League Meets: November to late January
- InterLeague Tournaments (ILTs): late January to mid-February
- 2019 Los Angeles Regional Championship: Saturday, March 9, 2019, Monrovia High School, Monrovia, CA (Must advance from ILT)
Where you can get information/help
First off (slight pun intended), sign up for our weekly newsletter, Robot Tuesday! We feature updates from the Regional Planning Committee, fellow teams/mentors, and different supporting companies and organizations. It is an excellent source for information and resources. It is open to anyone who is interested in keeping up with our region and we strongly recommend that mentors share information with student team members and families.
Robot Tuesday Signups and other resources: Here at http://firsttechsocal.org/ — head up to the menu for more information.
We also have an active LA FIRST Tech Challenge Facebook page featuring even more updates and photos from events: https://www.facebook.com/Los.Angeles.FIRST.Tech.Challenge
We have an active Mentor Facebook Group for all mentors to share stories, resources, and ideas. Coaches and mentors, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for an invitation.
|LA/SoCal Planning Committeeemail@example.com||General questions and inquiries; a good starting point for everything|
|Gigi Johnsonfirstname.lastname@example.org||Affiliate Partner, Treasurer|
|Theresa Klemme||TFKlemme@gmail.com||Affiliate Partner, Event Manager; Regional Judge Advisor|
|Amanda Sullivanemail@example.com||Event Manager, Head Scorekeeper, Referee|
|Patrick Brophyfirstname.lastname@example.org||Event Manager, Co-Lead Volunteer Coordinator|
|Teresa and Dennis Smalleyemail@example.com||Team Communications|
|Cindy Chung-Prestwoodfirstname.lastname@example.org||Head Registration, Co-Lead Volunteer Coordinator|
|Corey Porteremail@example.com||Robot Tuesday, Mentor Resources|
|Olivia Smalleyfirstname.lastname@example.org||Regional Website|
|Crystal Covarrubiasemail@example.com||Lead social media|
Please know that if you have any questions or concerns, we are here to support you and your students throughout all your endeavors. Feel free to reach out at any time. We wish you the best of luck in these upcoming months and look forward to meeting you soon!
LA/SoCal FIRST Tech Challenge Planning Committee